Thursday, April 1, 2010

BLUE

Jersey #1 earned her blue belt in Tae Kwon Do this week. I am a proud Mama!

The Referee is rather proud too, especially considering he is her instructor...

She worked hard to prepare. Then, she had to perform all of her skills for that rank, in front of the class. (There were other students testing that same night).


At the end of the test, her green belt (with its 1 blue stripe) was replaced with a new blue belt.

Jersey #1 is usually a rather sensitive child who does not seek danger or harm. Tae Kwon Do is really helping her to toughen up a little. At home, she was telling me how she was hurt during the sparring round. I praised her for being so tough to handle it, and still stay focused on doing her best. She shared that she really wanted to cry, but she fought back the tears during class. She then started crying at home, telling us that she is not really tough.

I had to hold back my desire to laugh. She was giving an honest account about herself not liking being hurt. She was saying it in a very dramatic way, which just enhanced her point. It is true that she is not rough-n-tumble, naturally.

At the same time, I see how strong and confident she is becoming. I see her efforts to succeed. She is learning to overcome some weaknesses in order to achieve her goals. It was so easy to hug her and comfort her, and encourage her that she really is growing tough.

And she's got the blue belt to prove it!

No comments:

Post a Comment