Friday, March 16, 2012

Ok

When folks ask me how I am doing, I generally try to be honest.  

I don't want to always just answer, "I'm Ok," when in fact, I am not.

So, I will answer that I am having a better day today.  Or, I am having a tougher day today.  I usually follow that up with some sort of statement that I tend to have better days and worse days, and that the better days are becoming more frequent.  On my worst days, I mention if I am struggling to make sense of the challenges in my life right now.  

Providing that much more detail helps folks connect.  I can always tell which people have experienced tragedy and grief, because their understanding nods, sighs, and responses are really quite understanding.

Even folks who would usually be fine with a superficial answer, seem to readily engage in conversation when I give honest feedback to their inquiry.

I find it helpful to put words to my feelings.  I also like the way it helps me keep my feelings in perspective from day to day.  I can literally see the sadness and pain is lessening than previous weeks, based on how I describe it.

The most beneficial aspect of giving an honest answer is that I receive honest comfort.  Folks are genuine in their responses.  There is no mistaking their care and compassion.

Closer friends are accustomed to my details when they ask how I am doing.

Yesterday, I was simply Ok.

That response actually startled people.

"Just Ok?  How are you really?"

I had to explain.  Really, I am just doing Ok today.

I am struggling with some emotions as if it were a bad day, but I am also going and doing as if it were a good day.  I am feeling fairly neutral about it all.

I'd say I am just Ok today.

But, I am Ok with that.

Sometimes is is Ok to just be Ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment