Tuesday, March 13, 2012

FIVE


My pretty princess is 5 years old today.

Happy Birthday Jersey #4.

I love age 5.  It is such a big milestone.  The baby, toddler, and preschool years have passed, and a new level of independence blooms.  If we have taken the time to be consistent through the previous "training" years, then discipline becomes less frequent, and obedience becomes the norm.  I usually really enjoy this kindergarten age as a reward for all the effort required up to this point.

With Jersey #4, I have been in complete denial that it is even possible for her to be turning 5.  She seems so young.  She seems so small.  It just doesn't seem that 5 years has already passed.  Developmentally, I realize that she is 5.  She is really ready to be a kindergartener this Fall.  I've decided that the years must have been more blurred, because she can be such a challenging child.  Maybe I was too wrapped up in her constantly testing my parenting consistency to actually notice the passing of time?  

I don't know if it was the truth in the calendar date, or the new, bigger clothes she received as a birthday gift, or what, but Jersey #4 certainly emerged into a five year old today.  She even seemed older to me.  Dare I say she even seemed like a more compliant child?

(No, I don't dare say such a thing.  As the parent of such a strong-willed daughter, I know better than to let my guard down.  She will catch wind that I have relaxed, and will immediately test to see if the boundaries are still the same.  I must always be prepared for her random attempts to push the boundaries, and respond with consistency that the limits are firmly in place!)    

For her birthday this year, Jersey #4 wanted to celebrate at a miniature golf place.  It wasn't the golf that drew her, but more their really large safari animal statues.  The owners even let her climb on them, which she loves.  


The party  was fun.  Jersey #4 had a wonderful birthday.  Her friends and family really spoiled her.  She received many new toys and outfits.  She is at a sweet age, where she still enjoys baby dolls and play kitchen/food sets.  




It is almost time to order homeschool curriculum for the Fall (to get the discount price).  I am still wrapping my mind around having a new kindergartener to school.  Someone told her that she would get to learn how to read in kindergarten, so Jersey #4 has been busy trying to master the sounds of the alphabet letters, and how to blend 2 letter sounds together.  It already looks like she is going to enjoy academic learning.

I suppose I cannot deny it any longer.  Jersey #4 celebrated her 5th birthday.  She is officially 5 years old.


She just insists on growing up.


No comments:

Post a Comment