Sunday, May 20, 2012

Annular Eclipse



The Annular Solar Eclipse tonight was AWESOME!

The kids and I got to enjoy it in the midst of an ice cream social at our church.  We had fantastic viewing right from the church yard.  We were surrounded by friends, and sugar in many different forms.  It was a blast.  

The kids brought their scooters.  Since the eclipse took close to an hour to go from start to full "ring of fire," the kids played and took random breaks to peak at the sky with their solar shades.



We had the official solar shades that were "certified" by the British Standards Institute.  Even though they looked like cheap, old style 3-D glasses, the lens was really effective.  We could not see anything through those shades, unless we were looking at the sun.




Other folks brought cool toys to aide in the solar viewing.  My friend brought a homemade pin-hole box, that could be worn on the head.  This is the type of eclipse viewing we remember as kids, before those fancy "eclipse shades" came out.  I had Jersey #1 try it out...



Another man brought his telescope and set it up to project the eclipse on a dry erase board for all to see. he really captured some good images.




I was able to get a few pictures with my camera, by placing my solar shades across the lens.  It is not quality photography, but it sure captured the excitement of the evening.







That was the best eclipse viewing I have ever experienced.  I am so thrilled at the opportunity to share it with my kids.  

I found it fascinating that this eclipse was an "annular" eclipse, meaning it was "circular," or like a ring.  Jersey #2 used to have a "trans-annular" patch, which meant that the patch went over the ring of her heart valve.  I am sure it is not normal to look at a solar eclipse and think of a heart valve, but these are the things that go through my mind...


No comments:

Post a Comment