Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Down for the Count

I am almost semi-functional again.

Almost.

A terrible sinus infection came out of the blue and knocked me off my feet. I was down for the count for 3 days. It was wild. And crazy. And restful?

It was restful because I was in bed, heavily medicated to manage the pain. I have had a few sinus infections in my life. But, I have not faced sinus pain like that before. There were points when I wondered if I was really dealing with a sinus infection, or a dental emergency. Ouch!

I did get a lot of sleep all weekend.

I went to the doctor yesterday and got a prescription for an antibiotic. Two doses later, and I am noticing a big improvement already. I am out of bed, for one thing. My nose is running again, which is another good thing.

The lesson I learned from this experience is that when a head cold seems like it suddenly went away quickly and easily....it really did not. Here I thought I was just healthier. It turns out everything stopped flowing because it was settling up in my sinus cavity. Building a cement foundation. And when that foundation was set, it was quite a fortress to attack.

I ignored the early warning signs: feeling tired and run down, and pain in my upper jaw teeth. I took Tylenol for my headache, and went about my days. Maybe if I had intervened with some home treatments earlier, I could have stopped the full-blown war in my face.

I went from feeling achy and run down one morning, to in-bed and non-functional by late afternoon....along with intense face pain and fever. Ugh. Thankfully, there were no activities scheduled for the weekend. The Referee worked on his car. The kids ran wild, but he was there to supervise them and feed them regularly. So, my family let me sleep.

Sleep helped. Pain medication helped. Drinking lots of fluids helped. Shower steam helped. But, this time around, antibiotics are my favorite resource right now. I was just not bouncing back on my own.

Next time, I think I will take that common cold a little more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment