
Week 2 of the Couch to 5K training program was a bit adventurous, due to weather, but I am happy to report that I completed the 3 workout sessions.
The workout routine added a minute more of running this week. After a 5 minute warm-up walk, there were 6 intervals of 90 seconds of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking. I ended with at least 5 minutes of a cool-down walk, followed by leg stretches.
I surprised myself by being able to jog for 90 seconds at a time. The 4th interval was the hardest one each time, but the others were good. I can tell that my leg muscles are getting stronger, because my knee is not nearly as sore after each workout. My lower legs still become quite tight by half-way through each session, so I keep wondering if I will ever learn how to run well.
This week, I learned that I am slow. In the 25 minute workout sessions, I am only covering 1.5 miles distance. Well, a 5K is 3.1 miles, so I am only near half the distance right now. I am hoping that my pace will improve the more I train. I took a peek at the future training schedule, and I started to panic about how I am ever going to get to the point of being able to run continuously. I calmed down after I convinced myself that I am just going to take it 1 week at a time, and see how it goes. I am seeing improvements in my strength and fitness every workout.
Thunderstorms threw off my run schedule this week. After not being able to run for 3 evenings in a row, I decided to get up early Sunday morning, and complete my last session for this week, before church. I am not sure if it was the extra rest between runs, the fact that I am now 5 1/2 pounds lighter, or if morning workouts are really that much better, but that 3rd workout session this week was the best! I am finally able to pick up my feet a little bit.
I dropped 1.5 pounds this week. That brings my total weight loss for July to 5.5 pounds. One of the nice things about focusing on the training program and learning to run, is that I am not letting the slow weight loss discourage me.
I am really loving the changes to my body already. My regular clothes are all loose. I had to tighten my bra to a new row of hooks this week, which made me laugh thinking about how many women have told me that is the first area where they lose weight. The other area I've noticed a difference is in my swimskirt. The built-in shorts are so baggy that I started wearing another swimsuit bottom underneath to keep from showing anything improper. I'm not sure how much running it takes to drop an entire clothing size, but I am looking forward to that day.
The workout routine added a minute more of running this week. After a 5 minute warm-up walk, there were 6 intervals of 90 seconds of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking. I ended with at least 5 minutes of a cool-down walk, followed by leg stretches.
I surprised myself by being able to jog for 90 seconds at a time. The 4th interval was the hardest one each time, but the others were good. I can tell that my leg muscles are getting stronger, because my knee is not nearly as sore after each workout. My lower legs still become quite tight by half-way through each session, so I keep wondering if I will ever learn how to run well.
This week, I learned that I am slow. In the 25 minute workout sessions, I am only covering 1.5 miles distance. Well, a 5K is 3.1 miles, so I am only near half the distance right now. I am hoping that my pace will improve the more I train. I took a peek at the future training schedule, and I started to panic about how I am ever going to get to the point of being able to run continuously. I calmed down after I convinced myself that I am just going to take it 1 week at a time, and see how it goes. I am seeing improvements in my strength and fitness every workout.
Thunderstorms threw off my run schedule this week. After not being able to run for 3 evenings in a row, I decided to get up early Sunday morning, and complete my last session for this week, before church. I am not sure if it was the extra rest between runs, the fact that I am now 5 1/2 pounds lighter, or if morning workouts are really that much better, but that 3rd workout session this week was the best! I am finally able to pick up my feet a little bit.
I dropped 1.5 pounds this week. That brings my total weight loss for July to 5.5 pounds. One of the nice things about focusing on the training program and learning to run, is that I am not letting the slow weight loss discourage me.
I am really loving the changes to my body already. My regular clothes are all loose. I had to tighten my bra to a new row of hooks this week, which made me laugh thinking about how many women have told me that is the first area where they lose weight. The other area I've noticed a difference is in my swimskirt. The built-in shorts are so baggy that I started wearing another swimsuit bottom underneath to keep from showing anything improper. I'm not sure how much running it takes to drop an entire clothing size, but I am looking forward to that day.

No comments:
Post a Comment