Monday, August 23, 2010

Running: Week 5


Week 5 of the Couch to 5K running program brought about two big realizations:

1) I am slow
2) I feel awesome!

I am hoping the first topic will fix itself with time and training.

So, I will just focus on the second topic. This week, I really felt like a runner during my workouts. It was so cool. In addition, I just felt good all week long, whether I was running that day or not. I felt good in my clothes, because they all fit (or sometimes hang loose). I even felt good out in public in my swimsuit. I engaged in more activities with the kids. Overall, I trusted the muscles in my body to do their job. I simply felt stronger.

I did not take a look at the Week 5 workout in advance of going to the park. I was surprised to hear the Podcast announcer mention I was on Week 5, workout 1. That immediately had me questioning, why he numbered the workouts. It turns out that week 5 had 3 different workouts...and the 3rd had me jogging for 20 minutes straight! Oh my!

After a 5 minute warm-up walk, the workouts looked like this:

Workout 1: 5 minutes jogging, followed by 3 minutes walking. (3 times)
Workout 2: 8 minutes jogging, followed by 5 minutes walking. (twice)
Workout 3: 20 minutes jogging

It was during workout 2 that I truly felt like a runner. It was also that workout that taught me that I was only jogging at the pace of a 16 minute mile...and the training program is for a 10 minute mile. So, I am not covering the full distance. I did not let that get me down. I looked back across the past 5 weeks and realized just how far I've come. I have increased strength and stamina more each week, so I expect my speed to pick up in time too. If not, I will have to make my own music selections and run longer to get further.

I started the Mountain Dew weaning program too. I've cut down my intake by 1/4. I noticed results immediately....the good results, not the headache results. Between the running program and cutting back on the soda pop calories, my weight continues to slowly drop. 9 pounds lost in the past 6 weeks. It is amazing the difference 9 pounds can make in my attitude!

I am actually needing to buy a smaller size now. Unfortunately, it is only a smaller bra size. That figures!

The Couch to 5K program is a 9 week program. I am already over half-way there. I am such a goal-oriented person, so this is very exciting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment