The Referee and I are celebrating 13 years of marriage today.
Happy Anniversary!
13
Is that number lucky or unlucky these days?
Either way, I'll take it. And many more....
Marriage is a lot of work. It is tough to share a life with someone. It is easier to be selfish. Yet, we desire companionship. What a strange struggle. I believe in marriage. I believe the overall journey is totally worth it. Marriage is the core of the family. It is important. Sometimes I have to remind myself not to focus on the immediate challenge, but to realize that there is a bigger picture unfolding. Each anniversary represents a milestone in our life together. It has been a full life so far. I think that may be why we look so young in our wedding photo....and feel so much older now. I have a collection of pictures that prove to me that the years are passing, and we are certainly filling them up with memories together.
![]() |
| Baby Referee |
![]() |
| Baby Coach Mom |
We met and dated in high school...
We became engaged in college...
We stood before friends and family and committed to sharing the rest of our lives together.
We managed to get a wedding photo in front of this home-made balloon arch, mere seconds before a big wind gust picked it up and carried it off...
We started a family....
...and buried our firstborn (who arrived stillborn)...
(We lost our 2nd child to early miscarriage.)
We joyfully welcomed Jersey #1 into the world...
We celebrated Jersey #2 surviving her first open-heart surgery...
We made big career changes, and traveled to Europe...
We welcomed a bouncing baby boy (Jersey #3)...
Our family grew some more...and then there were FOUR:
Jobs were lost. Health issues arose. Jobs were found. And, we were blessed with a handful:
We certainly have our hands full...
As we took Jersey #2 for her 2nd open-heart surgery...
...we were reminded once again that it is better to have our hands FULL than empty!
There is never a dull moment....
And, we like it that way!
When we said "I do," we did not realize we had signed up for life in a 3-ring circus.
13 years later, I am certain that the words to our song still ring true:
"I'm Happy To Be Stuck With You!"
















That was so beautiful. I'm struggling with marriage... and realizing just how hard it is! It's nice to see such a happening light at the end of the tunnel and this is kind of like that light. :)
ReplyDeletecongratulations! we celebrate # 13 in august. loved how you told your story. and loved all the pics! so fun!
ReplyDelete