Monday, July 26, 2010

Netflix


We signed up for Netflix this summer. My sisters, many friends, and even some of The Referee's coworkers have mentioned it for a while now. We've been slow to jump on board. This summer seemed like a good opportunity to check it out, since Jersey #2 needed to rest and recover from surgery. We signed up for the basic package, 1 DVD at a time, for just under $10. We had a promotional code to try the first month for free.

We have already gotten our money's worth for at least the next 3 years. It turns out that in addition to that 1 DVD that we can check out at a time, we can also streamline movies and shows instantly on our laptop. The night I first signed us up for Netflix, The Referee was so excited about all the shows he could watch on his computer, that he stayed up watching movies all night long. Then, we received the disk that utilizes our Wii to streamline movies instantly to our television. Oh my! Cartoons, movies, and TV shows galore!

Needless to say, the entire family has spent WAY too much time watching movies this summer.

The Referee and I have been able to catch up on all the movies we've missed since becoming parents. We used to go out to the movie theater a lot when we were dating and first married. That ended after a couple kids arrived. I think we practically watched a movie a night during the month of June.

Since we do not have cable television, and our converter box broke, the kids have not had much access to any cartoons or TV shows. They went hog-wild checking out shows in the "kids and family" category.

The Referee was shocked to come home and find the kids watching Barney. He thought that purple dinosaur was a thing of the past. Unfortunately, he still lives in the Netflix world.

It didn't take me long to start complaining about all of the teen dramas that seem to draw 8-year old girls. I am not a fan of the style of dress, the attitudes, the lack of parental supervision, or the obsession with boyfriends/girlfriends that appears to be the focus of those shows. I had to limit Jersey #1's viewing of such programs, as I noticed her attitude start to decline.

Now, we are working on reigning ourselves in a bit more. I filled the instant queue with educational shows for the kids, Veggie Tales, and a few preschool-level cartoons. We decided to start limiting more of what they are viewing. (It appears it was a blessing to not have access to TV programs before). We are making family movie night a big event (with popcorn), and not an every night occurrance. Now that we are gearing up for school to begin soon, it is time to get back to the routine of reading books before bed.

I think Netflix will continue to be fun entertainment for our family.....hopefully in moderation

2 comments:

  1. We love Netflix! We signed on with them in 2005. Only - we get 3 at a time! We've been watching LOST most recently. Glad to hear you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love NetFlix here. It takes about a week for us to watch a movie most of the time, but AJU1 watches A-Team at least a few times a week, and AJU5 watches some Veggie Tales on there. I also like Man vs. Food - you should check that one out!

    ReplyDelete