Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rainbow Braces



Phase One of Jersey #2's orthodontic treatment has begun.

We are visiting the Orthodontist 5 times in 5 weeks.  What an adventure!

The first visit was for me to take a very large chunk out of our Health Savings Account, and pay a down payment for the treatment.  I will just pause for a moment and Praise God for that HSA!  We started this account two years ago, when The Referee began a job that offered one.  The first year, we did not fund it to the full extent we actually needed, and came up short.  (I think that lesson has plagued us for years---not really realizing the full extent of healthcare expenses we need to budget, and coming up short).  This year, we thought we were much smarter to plan for our expenses.  Not only did we think we had enough money coming out of The Referee's paychecks, and into the HSA, to cover our healthcare expenses, but we thought we had planned for a little extra.  Wrong!  We did not plan for orthodontics to begin this year.  (We also did not plan for me needing a root canal this year---what a VERY EXPENSIVE dental procedure to try to save a tooth!)

Such is life.

...at least for us.

But, we did have that extra in the HSA, so the down payment was made, and the monthly payment plan was set up.  And, the crown I need, myself, will have to wait until January, when it is a new HSA year of funds (an amount that we will be increasing during the next open enrollment).  I have finally learned to not add credit card debt anymore.  (Yes, Dave Ramsey has changed my life!)  

Money matters aside, Jersey #1 also had impressions made during that first visit, and various other measurements taken.  Spacers were fitted between her back teeth, to make some room between her molars to hold the bands that hold the expander.  She was briefed about how she could no longer eat sticky foods (caramel, Starbursts, etc), or else the spacers would be pulled out.

I was briefed that if her spacers came out before the week was up, she needed to return and get them replaced. 

Sure enough, a spacer came out.  She wiggled it out with her tongue.

On a Saturday night.

I just knew this was going to mess up the whole orthodontic schedule.

I was on the phone with the Orthodontist's office when they opened Monday morning.  Jersey #2 was given an appointment to return on Tuesday morning to have the spacer replaced.  Thankfully, her Wednesday appointment would not be affected, and the full schedule could progress.

Of course, every single one of these visits requires a very large dose of Amoxicillin to protect her heart.  (Antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent Endocarditis).  At least I remembered to talk to the Pharmacist in advance, and learned that the bottle could last in the fridge for 14 days, leaving me with plenty on hand for these unplanned dental appointments.    

The Wednesday appointment was a big one.  It was suppose to last 2 hours.  I secured childcare for my youngin's, so I could devote my attention to the appointment with Jersey #2.  This appointment involved more measurements, placing brackets around those molars, taking more impressions for the expander device (with the brackets on the molars), and adding braces on 6 front teeth.  

There was also a big discussion about how teeth cleaning habits had to be modified to accommodate the braces and expander.  Jersey #2 was given a big bag of goodies to get things started right now.  She is to brush her teeth 3 times a day (instead of just 2 times), and for 3 minutes at a time (instead of the previous 2 minutes).  Plus, she is to add a fluoride treatment at night.  The list of banned foods was increased to include hard foods and hard objects (no chewing on pencils), and excessive sugary drinks/foods (no soda or bubble gum).  

The dental assistant informed Jersey #2 that she could pick up to 3 colors of rubber bands for her braces each time she visits.  She knew she was getting 6 braces, so she was planning to pick 6 colors of the rainbow.  Her favorite color is still "rainbow."  So, I asked the assistant if she would be willing to do the rainbow for this first visit only.  I was prepared to throw in the "it's her birthday next week" comment too, but that was not necessary.  The assistant immediately agreed, then leaned in and told Jersey #2 that if she asked nicely, the other assistants would probably be willing to do the rainbow for future visits too.  

The Orthodontist commented that Jersey #2 is a "great patient!"  I found that amusing.  I suggested that she has had a lot of practice being a patient.  He agreed.  I let him know that she was intrigued by his office, and all the new procedures, tools, posters, and gadgets he had all around.  She is a curious child, so she was using any down time to peek around and check things out.  

She has also taken the baton for questions.  Typically, The Referee and I are the ones who ask a slew of questions about every treatment and procedure.  For this Orthodontic treatment plan, Jersey #2 is making the Orthodontist and his assistants explain every single tool and procedure, before they do it.  She is drilling them with questions, and I am just sitting back listening and observing.  She really is a great patient.  She has already learned some skills on advocating for her own health.  She also questions them further if a suggested treatment does not seem necessary to her.  When they went to take an additional impression of her jaw, she made them explain why they needed a 3rd, when she only had 2 jaws.  I don't think they are accustomed to having a child interact with them like that.  I have been totally impressed by the way they take the time to explain everything, with joy.  So far, it seems they are happy to share more details about their job, with their patient who has such an inquisitive mind.  

It turned out that the 2 hour appointment only took 1 hour.  Jersey #2 really is a great patient.  Her cooperation made a big difference in their efficiency.  She left the office smiling from ear to ear with rainbow braces.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment