It is possible that we have gone a little over-board with baskets this Easter season.
Baskets, baskets everywhere!
Cellophane wrapped baskets just catch the eye. They are just so bright and colorful.
Granny & PawPaw made baskets for the kids this year...
This is exactly how awesome Easter baskets were for me when I was a kid. My Mom loved the idea of the cellophane wrapped baskets in the store, but she was certain she could fix up her own with much more goodies, for the same price. Each year, she built us big, beautiful baskets. My Mom is a practical gal, so our baskets included practical gifts like clothes, shoes, and even socks and underwear. I loved this tradition from my childhood, and set out to repeat it for my own children.
Usually, my Mom fixes up gifts for the kids at Easter time, but does not make baskets for them. She did not want to take away that fun of making baskets, from my sisters and me. This year, she ended up making cellophane baskets, due to the very large stuffed bunnies. PawPaw found those bunnies on clearance after Easter last year, and picked them up for his grandbabies.
My parents also got each kid a new outfit and summer sandals. Little do my parents know, but it was a HUGE blessing and a relief to me that they fixed up these big baskets for the kids. I was not sure what I was going to be able to do for the kids, due to the change in our family dynamic, and finances this year. I was planning to use her baskets as the kids' main baskets, and just add a few little things from me. My Mom has had these baskets ready for over a month, and had no idea they would fill such a need.
Our AWANA club runs a fruit basket fundraiser in the Spring. We bought some of those baskets and gave them out to some of the folks who have really gone out of their way to help our family in these recent times of crisis. It was so much fun to help assemble and to deliver those fruit baskets. It gave me another idea...
Jersey #1, Jersey #2, and I assembled mini fruit baskets to give to some of the elderly, widowed folks in our church congregation. Since they live alone, that big basket of fruit from the AWANA fundraiser would just be too much for one person. We re-purposed the baskets I bought to hold candy for Titus' funeral reception, and filled them with fruit, a couple dyed eggs, and a few pieces of candy.
Then, we wrapped them in cellophane paper and tied a ribbon around them. They turned out real nice.
I am mighty pleased with the baskets I was able to make for the kids this year...
They are super practical. The kids keep growing. Jersey #2 is growing so well and so fast, that she is starting to bust right out of her clothes. She has been able to wear quite a few hand-me-downs from her sister, and friends, but she was starting to need a few items of clothing, particularly pajamas. Jersey #1 had outgrown her swimsuit and jean shorts. Jersey #5 outgrew his shoes. Originally, I made a plan to buy one of these needed items each payday. Then, I had the brilliant idea to put these items in Easter baskets.
One day while driving in the car, I started up a conversation with the kids about who needed what. I went through a list of items that would be desired for the upcoming summer months. Who has a swimsuit that fits? Who has bike helmets that fit properly? Who has working scooters? (I knew all the kids had working bicycles, because those were their Christmas presents from Granny & PawPaw). Who has outgrown their tennis shoes? (I also knew that Granny had gotten each kid a new pair of sandals in her baskets, so that was covered). I also asked what other items they kids thought they needed. I was informed of the need for pajamas, jean shorts, and hair ties.
I used this list of lacking items to help me pick and choose gifts for the kids for their Easter baskets. I set a budget, and kept my eye out for sales. I am very pleased with myself for the things I was able to get the kids. They will be thrilled to have such beautiful baskets this year, and our summer will go so much smoother as everyone will have the clothes and supplies for the activities we have planned (which is basically lots of time at the parks and swimming pools).
I did add some chocolate to the baskets. A chocolate bunny, Peeps, and the Reese's chocolate peanut butter eggs (our family's favorite Easter candy).
I have been spacing out the Easter fun all week and weekend. I let the kids open their baskets from Granny & PawPaw this evening. I am saving the baskets I made them for tomorrow. I think I am as excited as they will be! I just love practical gifts, especially when I stick to my budget and find great sales.

No comments:
Post a Comment