
We have just had the privilege of spending the past week on a short-term mission trip to the Navajo Nation. This was my 3rd time being able to take this trip in the past 4 years. It is always an awesome growing experience (especially for me)! I enjoy being able to serve God in this capacity--by helping a local missionary reach the Navajo children with a Vacation Bible School. I am always so amazed by how much the children have grown in just one year. I was ecstatic, last summer, to get to witness some of them grow in their knowledge of Jesus Christ, and accept Him as their Savior! I was thrilled to see those same children return to us this summer for more teaching, encouragement, and discipleship. In addition, there is a new group of little ones who are growing up and starting to take an interest...
In addition to the impact these mission trips have on the Navajo children, I just love the influence it has on my own children. It is most certainly a lot of work to travel with young children....and it is a wild combination to travel with my young children a youth group of teenagers....but I find the challenge is totally worth it! I know that the most important thing I can do as a mother is to train up my children in the way they should go. If I fail to show them my faith, then I fail as a Mother. It is encouraging to me to take part in ministries that help me teach my children. Church services and Sunday School are the basic foundation. AWANA is certainly one of my favorite "extras". This Navajo Nation mission trip tops the list.
The first summer we took this trip, it was more of a curiosity and a way to help out at our church. I was hooked from the start! Then, I observed how Jersey #1 was drawn to the missionary's wife. To this day, every time Jersey #1 sees this woman, she greets her with a big smile and a hug. THAT is the LOVE I want my children to know and to have for others...
[It is important to note that this woman is just the sweetest thing. Even Jersey #4 sat in her lap the first time they met last summer, and Jersey #4 doesn't usually like anyone she first meets!]
In addition to loving our missionaries (and their wives), I want my children to know the love of Christ, and to be able to share the love of Christ with others. I appreciate the ways that participating in this short-term mission trip is helping me achieve this goal. For starters, we are traveling with a loving group of Christians. Those folks are teaching the Navajo children and teaching my children as well. In addition, we are traveling with a youth group filled with Christian teenagers. I appreciate how they are able to conduct themselves in a Godly way while also enjoying their youth. When I am having conversations with my children about clothing or behavior choices, I've got great examples to demonstrate my points. The passion some of these teens have for God and for reaching souls out reaches many "mature" Christians! They are certainly an inspiration to me, and a wonderful example to my children. It is easy for us to be selfish. It is a beautiful skill to learn to put others first. During these trips, my children are loved, shown love, and shown how to show love to others. The focus is right where it is suppose to be---on Christ! We work hard, encourage each other, worship together, pray together, dine together, play together, and hope that God will use us in a MIGHTY way!




No comments:
Post a Comment