Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ouch!


This kid is a mess of bumps, bruises, and scrapes lately.

He and gravity are just not getting along very well, it seems.


I am not sure if it is because he appears to be going through a very fast growth spurt in height recently. I think that could be throwing off his balance and coordination.

Or, maybe, it is because he keeps trying to keep up with his older siblings and thinks he should be able to do a lot more than he really can.

Or, maybe he could just be a klutz. (If this were the case, he certainly gained that attribute from his Mama).

Whatever the source of the problem, the reality is that I am spending a lot of time cleaning (and kissing)"boo-boos" and applying band-aids. That is just for the big things.

Jersey #5 tends to brush off the little injuries.

I realize there is a whole school of thought that tells parents to not react to a child's injury....that if we don't gasp or make it into a big deal, then they won't register the level of pain and over-react. I have heard the stories of parents who cheer and clap when their child takes a hard tumble, so that the child does not get upset. They are so proud to share the story that their child learns to react with a smile instead of a cry.

I actually find that little psychology experiment to be rather disturbing.

I prefer to teach my children to listen to their bodies, and address problems according to their body's needs. Kids are pretty resilient. They know when an injury requires more than a kiss. They know when it is time to get back on the playground, or sit in Mommy's lap and regroup. I watch their cues in order to know how to tend to their needs.

Some kids are more dramatic than others. So, I also remind them that trips and tumbles are part of being a kid, and learning new skills.

Jersey #5 and I have a nice little "tumble routine" now.

He trips, falls, or otherwise hurts himself.

I ask "Are you Ok?"

He answers....1) "Yes, I Ok." Then, he gets up brushes his hands across his shirt, then runs off to play......or 2) "No. I hurt." Then, he cries and comes to me with open arms for some assistance.

We've got the communication part down.

Now, we just need to figure out the coordination to keep him on his feet a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment