Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Servants

Our church received the opportunity for a new ministry recently.

A BIG ministry.

We are a small church. Sometimes we worry that we are not going to have enough manpower to host a Vacation Bible School, so it still sounds crazy to me that we recently took on a rather large outreach to the homeschool community.

Yes, I said crazy. And, I am right there in the midst of the insanity. I am too busy. I am too tired. I do not have the time or energy for my current commitments. So, why in the world would I jump in with both feet to help our church in an even bigger ministry?

I volunteered to organize it.

Yes, I said it: Volunteered. I missed the first meeting, so I wasn't sure if someone was already slated to organize the whole transition. I was full of emotion and excitement. I could barely contain myself because I wanted to shout, "LET ME AT IT!"

Lucky for me, no one else seemed to want the job. When I told The Referee what I had just signed up for, he asked me how I get myself into these things? When I mentioned I volunteered for it, he asked me, "What were you thinking?"

At the time, I was thinking this looked like an awesome ministry opportunity that God had placed before us. I wanted to help. I wanted to serve. I wanted to utilize my gifts for Him.

I wasn't thinking about the time commitment, or the fact that I am way too busy. I wasn't thinking about how much work would be involved.

I thought about those things later. I was up to my elbows in sick children, falling behind in every aspect of my life. That is when I started to wonder if I had gotten myself in over my head.

Somehow, I managed to keep moving forward. I trusted that if God wanted me to do this, He would see me through it.

Then, I heard a song on the radio that I have now decided is my new motto and justification for being so busy. The song is "I Refuse" by Josh Wilson. This is the line that got a hold of me:

I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else

To do what God has called me to do myself


Pastor preached a sermon last week that truly inspired me. I was strengthened by the knowledge that my Faith will keep me strong. God will provide the way for me to accomplish what He asks of me. I just have to be willing to serve.

I am not alone. I have friends all around me who are willing to serve the Lord.

Serve the LORD with gladness (Psalm 100:2)

I am amazed by the number of families I know who are going through the adoption process, to follow God's call to care for the orphans.

I am amazed by the number folks who are raising money for various charities and people in need in their own church, in the local community, and all around the world.

These people inspire me. They make me think about my own activities. Am I serving with gladness? Is my heart in the right place? These friends help me focus and prioritize. Sometimes all it takes is their blog posts, websites, or Facebook updates to help me realize that if I am crazy for jumping in with both feet, then I am in good company. There are many other folks jumping in with both feet too.

I have been meaning to share the website of my friend, who is one awesome servant, so I will take the opportunity to do that here. Check Out Mavuno Market and help bring hope to Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! We are super excited - and made some changes to the website www.mavunomarket.org
    I've made some initial contacts with wholesalers in Rwanda and Zambia. We should have products SOON - and hope to open the Marketplace ... maybe in May.
    Glad you're back at blogging!

    ReplyDelete