Monday, May 16, 2011

Happy Kite Day


May 12th was Kite Day.

I had no idea such a holiday existed before.

This year we celebrated it.

My Mom (aka: Granny) surprised me with a gift and a cake for "Kite Day" this year. It was so sweet.

She knew I had a rotten Mother's Day, and she wanted to help. When I visited her on May 12th, it was already past Mother's Day, so she went searching on the internet for a holiday to celebrate in its place. She found Kite Day.

Then, she went shopping for a kite.

Later, I flew a kite with the kids. It was fun.


I think that was the best Kite Day celebration ever!

It definitely was more fun that my Mother's Day this year.


The children did their best to make the day special. They are sweet. They colored me pictures and cards, and gave me hugs all day long. We went for ice cream sundaes in the afternoon.

I was pretty sad and hurt on Mother's Day this year. The Referee went out of his way to ruin the day for me. Initially he had simply forgotten that Mother's Day was arriving. After that, it didn't take him long to resent the expectation that he should do something nice for me.....and lead the children accordingly. In no time, he had convinced himself that it was ok to ruin the day for me, in anger. When he goes wrong, he goes strong, which is no fun at all.

Thankfully, I am blessed with children, friends, and family who treat me well, so I know full well that The Referee is in error when he acts this way, and I do not deserve it. A sweet Kite Day celebration is a great example of how I have loved ones who lift me up when I am down.

I also have a husband who is smart enough to apologize BIGGER than he offends. When The Referee came to his senses, he realized that he should not have ruined Mother's Day like that. He surprised me with a sincere apology and a very nice gift...

the dining room table set that I have been admiring for over a year...


We have been using a folding table, and metal chairs, in our dining room for too long. It was suppose to be a temporary solution until we finished saving up for this table that I wanted. I have saved for the table 2.5 times, and each time I get close to being able to buy it, another expense takes priority, and I have to start all over.

We do not typically give gifts this expensive. Our budget does not work that way.

So, this gift was personal. It was big. It was something that I have been wanting for a long time. The Referee was wise to melt my anger with such a gift. Forgiveness came much easier when anger is melted away like that.

The icing on the cake was that The Referee mopped the dining room floor, and assembled the table. He had the dining room all cleaned up, with the beautiful table in place, waiting for me when I returned home from work.

Better late than never...

Happy (Belated) Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Aww that's a man for ya ;)

    I'm the kind of woman who made sure to start talking about my FIRST Mother's day like 3 days before it started... and then essentially just told Marc what we were doing LOL

    Once the baby is older and we have more kids reminders go out the window though.

    At least you have a sweet husband who can make up for it in such an awesome way. :) And 5 amazing children that make it all worth while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he made it up to you! The table is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete