Monday, October 25, 2010

Rolling Around

I had no idea that roller skates came in such small sizes...
We went on a family outing to the roller rink on Saturday. We had never actually been there before, even though it is fairly close to our house. The older 3 kids have their own skates, received as gifts from Granny & PawPaw in recent years. They have enjoyed learning to skate inside our house. We have talked about taking them to the roller rink for over a year now. It took us this long to finally go.

The Referee and I have not been roller skating since we were 12 or 13 years old. I am pretty sure that roller rinks have not been updated since then. The rink was the same. The carpet was the same. The music was the same. I did not dare check to see if those 70's and 80's decade hits were being broadcast from a record player or tape deck.

I was really enjoying re-living my past with my kids in tow. Granted, I do not skate like I used to. I did not even dare try the limbo. Actually, I clung to the wall and actually panicked at the thought of my body falling to the ground. I was certain I would not bounce back from a fall, like I used to. Jersey #2 skated past me so fast that her wind nearly knocked me over. Yep, I'm getting old.

We were not sure how the kids would react to the roller rink experience. I was really surprised it was such a family-friendly place. Granted, we chose to go during the specific skate session that was listed as "family skate," geared for younger children. (I'm pretty sure we want to stay away from teen night.) They had skates in every size, including toddler sizes for Jersey #5.

At first, Jersey #3 did not want to skate. He wanted to play arcade games. After learning that his choices were to skate or to sit near the rink and watch his family skate, he decided to lace up. Jersey #5 protested those heavy skates being put on his feet. He cried. We held him and walked/skated around the benches. He calmed down and decided to try to stand on his own. He fell down and thought that was hilarious. He proceeded to attempt to stand up on his own, fall down, and giggle. Jersey #4 wanted to skate, but took a while to figure out how to keep her legs straight. Helping her skate was much like trying to help an octopus skate. She had arms and legs flailing everywhere.

It didn't take us long to find our balance in the carpeted area...




The rink itself, took much more courage.

By the end of the session, Jersey #2 and The Referee were skating all over the rink.

Jersey #1 and I preferred the slow-n-steady path next to the wall.

After his first fall on the rink floor, Jersey #3 decided the carpet was a much nicer place to skate.

Jersey #4 surprised me with her fearless approach. As soon as she got her octopus legs figured out, she was ready to get out on the rink floor. I kept trying to hold her back, thinking she would get hurt. As soon as I was distracted with one of her brothers, she started inching her way out onto the rink. She would hold the wall and skate at a snail's pace, but she was out there. I finally gave in, and took her for a little spin...

We almost made it out of the place without injury....

until Jersey #5 skated into the wall and busted his lip...


He is a tough kid. A little break from skating, a little snack, and wiping his blood on Mom's shoulder fixed him right up...
Ah, family memories.

Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures of the referee. Sounds like a good activity for the family - I will have to remember it for a few years from now.

    ReplyDelete